Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Monday, 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Tripoli Clashes: Dbeibeh Urges Mediation to End Fighting

Tripoli Clashes: Dbeibeh Urges Mediation to End Fighting

Thursday, August 17, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
444th Brigade commander reveals circumstances of his detention amidst Tripoli violence

Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Al-Dbeibeh called on elders and notables from Souq Al-Jumaa and surrounding districts to mediate between warring factions in Tripoli, in a video address published Wednesday. 

The appeal comes amid clashes between the Deterrence Support Force and the 444th Brigade, led by Col. Mahmoud Hamza, a commander close to Al-Dabaiba.

In his remarks, the prime minister warned that the government will take “severe measures” against those who violate the ceasefire. “Those responsible for the loss of life are unfit to hold office, myself included,” he said.

He described the rift between 444th Brigade commander Hamza and Deterrence Support Force head Abdel Raouf Kara as “unhealthy and abnormal.” He stressed that the fighting “must not be repeated in any form,” vowing that “we will not stay silent until we end this.”

The prime minister referenced the death toll from the clashes, which he framed as dying “in defense of the homeland, honor and religion,” rather than “for the sake of power, position or personalities.”

Sources in Tripoli told The Libya Update earlier that 444th Brigade commander Col. Mahmoud Hamza had been released after a 48-hour detention by the Deterrence Support Force.

The clashes first erupted Monday evening between the rival Tripoli-based forces. A fragile ceasefire has taken hold, but tensions remain high in the capital.

Dbeibeh Mahmoud Hamza
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleTop Militia Heads Gather to Support De-escalation in Tripoli
Next Article EU: Violence in Tripoli is “vivid reminder” of fragile security in Libya

Keep Reading

Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump

General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation

Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
16 Aug

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
16 Aug

National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia

Reply on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Retweet on Twitter 2088958755375337794 1 Like on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Twitter 2088958755375337794
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
15 Aug

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Reply on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Retweet on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Like on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Twitter 2088720729760018505
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.