Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues
  • Experts: Money laundering is a form of quick wealth in Libya as chaos has created a favorable environment for it
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Monday, 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » IOM: 89 migrants intercepted over past week in Libya

IOM: 89 migrants intercepted over past week in Libya

Monday, May 15, 2023 National 1 Min Read
Italy denies ordering return of 30 migrants to Libya
Migrants wait to disembark from a tug boat after being rescued in the Pozzallo harbor, Sicily, Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015. An Italian government official says four smugglers brandishing Kalashnikovs threatened an Italian Coast Guard motorboat that had just rescued migrants off the coast of Libya, where the security is rapidly deteriorating. Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi said the gunmen had sped to the scene Sunday afternoon aboard a small boat some 50 miles (80 kilometers) off Libyan shores. After threatening the Coast Guard rescuers who had taken aboard the migrants, three of the smugglers jumped aboard the then-empty migrants' boat to reclaim it and took off. In all, nearly 2,200 migrants were rescued in several operations Sunday, the Coast Guard said. They were being taken to Italian ports. (AP Photo/Francesco Malavolta)

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that 89 migrants have been intercepted and returned to Libya during the past week.

“In the period of 7 – 13 May 2023, 89 migrants were intercepted and returned to Libya,” IOM said via Twitter.

“So far this year, a total of 5,058 migrants have been rescued and returned to Libya,” IOM said, adding that 641 illegal migrants died and 318 others went missing off the Libyan coast on the central Mediterranean route in 2023.

Due to the insecurity and chaos in the country since the fall of late dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011, many migrants, mostly Africans, choose to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores from Libya.

In the period of 7 – 13 May 2023, 89 migrants were intercepted and returned to Libya.

👇IOM Libya's Maritime Update pic.twitter.com/0KHLeD7Wu4

— IOM Libya (@IOM_Libya) May 15, 2023

International Organization for Migration Libya Migrants
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleMellitah drills offshore oil well of 1,800 barrels per day
Next Article Saudi delegation arrives in Libya to discuss reopening the kingdom’s embassy

Keep Reading

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump

General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation

Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues

Al-Hasadi Calls for Accountability of Dbeibeh Government over Failure to Counter Drone Attacks in Al-Zawiya

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
9h

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
14h

National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia

Reply on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Retweet on Twitter 2088958755375337794 1 Like on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Twitter 2088958755375337794
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
15 Aug

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Reply on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Retweet on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Like on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Twitter 2088720729760018505
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.