Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan
  • Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of Steadfastness 2
  • Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » IOM: Over 75 migrants drown off Libya coast

IOM: Over 75 migrants drown off Libya coast

Saturday, November 20, 2021 National 1 Min Read
IOM: Over 75 migrants drown off Libya coast
LAMPEDUSA, ITALY - MAY 24: Refugees and migrants are seen swimming and yelling for assitance from crewmembers from the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) 'Phoenix' vessel after a wooden boat bound for Italy carrying more than 500 people capsized on May 24, 2017 off Lampedusa, Italy. Numbers of refugees and migrants attempting the dangerous central Mediterranean crossing from Libya to Italy has risen since the same time last year with more than 43,000 people recorded so far in 2017. In an attempt to slow the flow of migrants Italy recently signed a deal with Libya, Chad and Niger outlining a plan to increase border controls and add new reception centers in the African nations, which are key transit points for migrants heading to Italy. MOAS is a Malta based NGO dedicated to providing professional search-and-rescue assistance to refugees and migrants in distress at sea. Since the start of the year MOAS have rescued and assisted 3572 people and are currently patrolling and running rescue operations in international waters off the coast of Libya. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Over 75 migrants drowned on Wednesday after departing from Libya, said the International Organization on Migration (IOM) today.

The IOM reported the news from 15 survivors who were “rescued by fishermen and brought to Zwara.”

“This latest tragedy brings the number of lives lost in the Central Mediterranean this year to over 1,300,” the IOM said via Twitter.
An estimated 1,225 people have died or gone missing while attempting to cross the central Mediterranean so far this year. Since 2014, 22,825 people have gone missing or died on this route.

🚨 Over 75 migrants drowned on Wednesday after departing from Libya according to 15 survivors rescued by fishermen and brought to Zwara.

This latest tragedy brings the number of lives lost in the Central #Mediterranean this year to over 1,300.

— IOM Libya (@IOM_Libya) November 20, 2021

Immigration Libya Migration
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleAl-Mishri says he wants elections postponed until February 2022
Next Article (EXCLUSIVE) LNA releases 7 Turkish soldiers after two years in captivity

Keep Reading

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity

Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments

Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
22h

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External ...Inspection of Drug Shipments
https://libyaupdate.com/ministry-of-health-authorized-to-designate-international-companies-for-external-inspection-of-drug-shipments/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Retweet on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Like on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Twitter 2056274543212167375
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
24h

Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of ...Steadfastness 2

Reply on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Retweet on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Like on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Twitter 2056240380404752576
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
17 May

Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices

Reply on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Retweet on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Like on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Twitter 2056074412172939743
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.