Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Fourth Session of National Reconciliation and Human Rights Process Begins in Tripoli
  • Wadi Al-Bawanees Discusses Support for Local Economy and Job Opportunities
  • Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » More than 60 migrants presumed dead after boat sinks off Libya, says IOM

More than 60 migrants presumed dead after boat sinks off Libya, says IOM

Sunday, December 17, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
34 migrants in ‘distress’ between Libya and Malta, says NGO
Migrants from Eritrea, Egypt, Syria and Sudan, wait to be assisted by aid workers of the Spanish NGO Open Arms, after fleeing Libya on board a precarious wooden boat in the Mediterranean sea, about 110 miles north of Libya, on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021. (AP Photo/Joan Mateu)

More than 60 migrants are believed to have drowned in a shipwreck off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.

Citing survivors, the UN agency said on Saturday the vessel left the city of Zuwara with around 86 people on board.

It said high waves swamped the boat and that 61 migrants, including children, were missing and presumed dead.

Libya is among the main departure points for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean and enter Europe.

The IOM estimates that more than 2,200 people have drowned while attempting the crossing this year alone, making it one of the most dangerous migration routes in the world.

The agency said most of the victims of the latest incident were from Nigeria, Gambia, and other African countries, the AFP news agency reports.

It also said 25 survivors had been transferred to a Libyan detention centre and were being given medical support.

Writing on X, formerly Twitter, an IOM spokesperson called the death toll for this year a “dramatic number which unfortunately demonstrates that not enough is being done to save lives at sea”.

The Mediterranean crossings frequently see scores of migrants crowded onto boats too small to safely hold them.
Those making the trip are typically hoping to land in Italy before making their way to other countries in Europe, some escaping conflict or persecution, others in search of work.
More than 153,000 migrants have arrived in Italy this year from Tunisia and Libya, according to the UN’s refugee agency.

Libya Migrants
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleOil Minister participates in the 12th Arab Energy Conference in Qatar
Next Article NOC, Sonatrach discuss exploration plan in Ghadames Basin

Keep Reading

Fourth Session of National Reconciliation and Human Rights Process Begins in Tripoli

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity

Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
11h

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
...https://libyaupdate.com/benghazi-celebrates-young-artist-ziad-al-sahati-in-cultural-event/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Retweet on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Like on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Twitter 2056595218288296012
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
20h

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

Reply on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Retweet on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Like on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Twitter 2056449070152007865
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
23h

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting ...Libya’s Stability and Unity
https://libyaupdate.com/from-the-egyptian-parliament-counselor-saleh-praises-egypts-role-in-supporting-libyas-stability-and-unity/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Retweet on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Like on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Twitter 2056414485288476794
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.