Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan
  • Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of Steadfastness 2
  • Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Italy struggles with surge in Egyptian migrants from Libya, The Times

Italy struggles with surge in Egyptian migrants from Libya, The Times

Tuesday, November 22, 2022 National 2 Mins Read
Nearly 300 rescued migrants to be disembarked in Sicily

People traffickers are packing fishing boats with up to 600 Egyptians in hidden coves near Tobruk in Libya, pointing them towards Italy and playing havoc with Rome’s crackdown on migration, The Times reported.

The Italian prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, was elected in September on the back of a pledge to end the flow of migrants across the Mediterranean from north Africa.

She has waged war on charity rescue ships that pluck them from dinghies after they depart from beaches near Tripoli in western Libya.

However, Italian officials are now facing a rising number of dangerously overloaded fishing boats steaming straight towards their country from the other end of Libya, close to the Egyptian border, and are being forced to step in to avert tragedy.

During one rescue by Italian government rescue vessels on October 26, 1,157 migrants were picked up from two fishing boats sailing from Tobruk at the same time.

“The departure of large boats from eastern Libya has been picking up, especially since late October,” said Maurice Stierl, an operator at Alarm Phone, an organisation that fields distress calls from migrant boats.

At least eight fishing boats headed for Italy from Tobruk in eastern Libya between the end of October and last week, with a total of about 2,800 migrants on board, said Alarm Phone, which received calls from the vessels.

Another boat from Tobruk was intercepted on Sunday with over 500 on board, Radio Radicale journalist Sergio Scanduro reported on Monday. The arrival at least nine boats in less than a month from Tobruk compared with seven boats carrying 1,000 migrants in the ten months between January and October last year.

The Italian government has not released data for 2022 on the places migrants have sailed from, but an aid worker who declined to be named told The Times that the recent sailings from eastern Libya were adding to the 6,000-or-so migrants who sailed from the area in the first nine months of this year.

Italy Libya
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleNew RAF mission in Misurata
Next Article Disruption affects Internet traffic in Libya

Keep Reading

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity

Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments

Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18 May

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External ...Inspection of Drug Shipments
https://libyaupdate.com/ministry-of-health-authorized-to-designate-international-companies-for-external-inspection-of-drug-shipments/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Retweet on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Like on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Twitter 2056274543212167375
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18 May

Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of ...Steadfastness 2

Reply on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Retweet on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Like on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Twitter 2056240380404752576
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
17 May

Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices

Reply on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Retweet on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Like on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Twitter 2056074412172939743
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.