Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues
  • Experts: Money laundering is a form of quick wealth in Libya as chaos has created a favorable environment for it
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Monday, 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Libya’s coast guard tried to prevent rescue of migrants in the Mediterranean, a German charity says

Libya’s coast guard tried to prevent rescue of migrants in the Mediterranean, a German charity says

Monday, March 4, 2024 National 3 Mins Read
Italy votes to renew support for Libyan Coast Guard

A German charity has accused the Libyan coast guard of threatening its crew members who were rescuing migrants in the Mediterranean Sea, causing at least one migrant to drown.

The German charity SOS Humanity, which operates the rescue ship Humanity 1, said the Libyan coast guard used violence and fired live bullets into the water during its “life-threatening intervention” on Saturday.

The charity said that many migrants who were aboard three unseaworthy boats bound for Europe were forced to jump into the water. The Humanity 1 managed to rescue 77 migrants, but many others were forced on board a Libyan coast guard boat, “separating at least six family members from each other,” it said.

At least one migrant drowned, it added.

A spokesman for the Libyan coast guard didn’t respond to phone calls and messages seeking comment.

Since 2015, the European Union has been funding the Libyan coast guard as part of efforts to stem the flow of migrants from the North African country towards Italian shores. As part of the deal, the coast guard has intercepted migrants in Libyan and international waters and has returned them to Libya.

Libya has in recent years emerged as the dominant transit point for migrants fleeing war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East, even though the North African nation has plunged into chaos following a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed longtime autocrat Moammar Gadhafi in 2011.

“Threatening crew members of search-and-rescue vessels and risking the lives of people in need of protection is a gross violation of international law,” SOS Humanity said.

In March last year, the Libyan coast guard fired warning shots as it attempted to rescue migrants from a packed ship, according to the SOS Mediterranee group, which also rescues migrants at sea. In October 2022, another rescue group, Sea-Watch, said the coast guard threatened to shoot down its plane used to monitor the sea for smugglers and migrant vessels.

Human traffickers in recent years have benefited from the chaos in Libya, smuggling in migrants across the country’s lengthy borders, which it shares with six nations. The migrants are crowded onto ill-equipped vessels, including rubber boats, and set off on risky sea voyages.

According to the IOM’s Missing Migrants Project, at least 962 migrants were reported dead and 1,563 missing off Libya in 2023. Around 17,200 migrants were intercepted and returned to Libya last year.

Those who are intercepted and returned to Libya are held in government-run detention centers rife with abuses, including forced labor, beatings, rapes and torture — practices that amount to crimes against humanity, according to U.N.-commissioned investigators.

The abuse often accompanies attempts to extort money from the families of the imprisoned migrants before allowing them to leave Libya on traffickers’ boats to Europe.

Libya
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleItaly and UNDP ramp up support for participation of youth and PWDs in Libya’s elections
Next Article Gulf countries reiterate support for UN facilitated dialogue in Libya

Keep Reading

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump

General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation

Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues

Al-Hasadi Calls for Accountability of Dbeibeh Government over Failure to Counter Drone Attacks in Al-Zawiya

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
17h

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
22h

National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia

Reply on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Retweet on Twitter 2088958755375337794 1 Like on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Twitter 2088958755375337794
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
15 Aug

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Reply on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Retweet on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Like on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Twitter 2088720729760018505
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.