The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said on Friday that over 6,300 migrants have departed Libya through humanitarian evacuations or resettlement to third countries since 2017.
On Thursday, the UNHCR has evacuated 133 migrants to Rwanda after their humanitarian flight had been on hold since April.
“The men, women and children brought to safety are from Eritrea, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan,”UNHCR said. “Most are victims of trafficking or survivors of gender-based violence and other forms of abuse.”
“I am relieved that we could move this group out of harm’s way. While in Libya, many went through harrowing experiences”, said Jean Paul Cavalieri, UNHCR’s Chief of Mission for Libya.
“UNHCR welcomes the decision of the Libyan authorities, who have authorized this humanitarian evacuation, and the cooperation prior to departure. We hope to organize more such evacuations soon. Hundreds of asylum-seekers and refugees in Libya are still awaiting humanitarian evacuation or resettlement.”
📄 UNHCR statement on the first evacuation flight to Rwanda this year: pic.twitter.com/7CxjEGvYeN
— UNHCR Libya (@UNHCRLibya) July 16, 2021