Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Deportation of 174 Bangladeshi Migrants from Benghazi via Benina International Airport
  • Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » US: “Conflicting candidacies” are reason behind Libya election delay

US: “Conflicting candidacies” are reason behind Libya election delay

Saturday, January 8, 2022 National 2 Mins Read
(Exclusive) US envoy pushes for Libyan presidential elections delay

The Libyan presidential elections, originally set for December 24 last year, were postponed due to “conflicting candidacies”, revealed Richard Norland, the U.S. Special Envoy and Ambassador to Libya.

In an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Norland was asked about the reasons behind delaying Libyan elections. He said that Libyan politics were complicated and that it is difficult for external observers to pinpoint exact explanations.

Nevertheless, the U.S. diplomat said that “conflicting candidacies” that appeared relatively late in the election process had spurred fears of violence erupting. This, according to Norland, could have been a motive for a temporary halt of elections.

“He relayed his belief in the High National Election Commission (HNEC) having been prepared to hold polls on time. But the organizing body had its work disrupted by controversial candidacies,” Asharq Al-Awsat stated.

“The US diplomat considered that Libyan politicians dodged the responsibility of announcing that elections were postponed mainly because they feared the people holding them accountable,” the London-based newspaper reported.

Norland pointed to the HNEC’s technical preparations having been “highly professional and efficient,” and most serious political actors in Libya, at least, had been in favor of holding elections.

On US threats to saboteurs, the ambassador said that sanctions mainly concern personalities rejecting the results of elections and those who practiced violence mongering to obstruct the electoral process.

According to Norland, the matter of sanctions has not been settled yet, and a decision may be taken in this regard later.

Libya Richard Norland United States
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleLibyan rival military leaders hold second meeting in Sirte
Next Article LNA: Al-Nadori, Al-Hadad discuss military unification

Keep Reading

Deportation of 174 Bangladeshi Migrants from Benghazi via Benina International Airport

Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump

General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
22h

Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara

Reply on Twitter 2089336453960433841 Retweet on Twitter 2089336453960433841 1 Like on Twitter 2089336453960433841 Twitter 2089336453960433841
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
17 Aug

A total power blackout, the third in two days, hits #Tripoli and the western region.

The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2089306820418412880 Retweet on Twitter 2089306820418412880 Like on Twitter 2089306820418412880 1 Twitter 2089306820418412880
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
16 Aug

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.