Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » 50 migrants, including children, rescued in Niger desert near Libya – UN

50 migrants, including children, rescued in Niger desert near Libya – UN

Wednesday, September 14, 2022 Region & World 1 Min Read
50 migrants, including children, rescued in Niger desert near Libya – UN

A total of 50 West African migrants, including women and children, were rescued in the desert in northern Niger near the Libyan border, the United Nations said Tuesday.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said the migrants were “vulnerable and in distress” and comprised 10 children, three women and 37 men, AFP reported.

IOM said they became “stranded” in the desert near the town of Dirkou after a perilous journey.

“Most were returning from Libya. Some were on their way to Libya but no longer had the means to continue their journey, and asked for our help,” IOM spokeswoman Aissatou Sy told AFP.

Dirkou is a crossroads for the smuggling of migrants, weapons and drugs into Libya and on to Europe.

The group, including 49 Nigerians and one Cameroonian national, was rescued last week and flown to the transit city of Agadez, where the IOM runs a reception centre.

The authorities in Agadez say it is common for vehicles transporting migrants to break down in the desert, or even for smugglers to lose their way or abandon passengers for fear of being caught.

Abandoned, some migrants die of dehydration, they say.

IOM Libya Migrants Niger
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous Article17 injured in Libya fuel tanker explosion
Next Article German ambassador: Efforts for completing Libya’s constitutional basis is ongoing

Keep Reading

Arab Parliament Urges International Community to Act Swiftly to Protect Palestinian People

Tehran condemns Britain for allowing Washington to use its bases to strike Iran, calls it an act of aggression

More than 2,300 settlers storm Al-Aqsa Mosque led by extremist Ben Gvir

Moments after Lindsey Graham’s death, Norman announces his candidacy for the US Senate

UN appoints Rabab Fatima as special envoy to Afghanistan

China calls Trump’s accusations fabricated, malicious slanders with no basis

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
10h

Atajan: Turkey’s Support for Western Libya Over the Past Seven Years Has Not Yielded Tangible Gains for Ankara

Reply on Twitter 2089336453960433841 Retweet on Twitter 2089336453960433841 1 Like on Twitter 2089336453960433841 Twitter 2089336453960433841
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
12h

A total power blackout, the third in two days, hits #Tripoli and the western region.

The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2089306820418412880 Retweet on Twitter 2089306820418412880 Like on Twitter 2089306820418412880 1 Twitter 2089306820418412880
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
16 Aug

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.