Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya
  • National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia
  • Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations
  • Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump
  • General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation
  • Al-Brega: Loss of the Al-Zawiya tank will affect storage and distribution and require significant costs to rebuild
  • Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues
  • Experts: Money laundering is a form of quick wealth in Libya as chaos has created a favorable environment for it
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Monday, 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » MSF: 440 migrants rescued from overcrowded boat off Malta

MSF: 440 migrants rescued from overcrowded boat off Malta

Thursday, April 6, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
MSF: 440 migrants rescued from overcrowded boat off Malta

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said yesterday that it had rescued 440 migrants from an overcrowded fishing boat in international waters off the coast of Malta, after trying to carry out the rescue for more than 11 hours

The organisation said its ship, the GeoBarents, had struggled with the rescue due to bad weather, explaining that at first it could do nothing but throw life jackets to the migrants.

Two days ago, Alarm Phone, a charity that receives distress calls from migrant boats in the Mediterranean, warned that the boat was in distress.

“After more than 11 hours of operation, the rescue is now over and a total of 440 people, including 8 women and 30 children, are now safely aboard #GeoBarents and being cared for by the team,” MSF wrote on Twitter.

An MSF spokesperson, Flavia Pergola, said the rescued migrants had spent four days at sea, including two without food or water, after the boat set off from eastern Libya near Benghazi on 1 April. She noted that a migrant had fainted as a result of severe dehydration and was transferred by helicopter to Malta.

The migrants are from Syria, Pakistan, Egypt, Somalia and Sri Lanka, and are due to be transferred to Italy.

Italy is facing an increase in the number of migrants arriving by sea from North Africa. During the first months of this year, the number of migrants arriving in Italy reached more than 28,000, compared to about 6,800 migrants recorded in the same period last year.

On Monday, the Italian Coast Guard carried out a difficult rescue operation by helicopter and managed to pull out 32 migrants who were stranded on a small island near the island of Lampedusa.

Libya Migrants
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleFair and Transparent Elections Remain a Dream for All Libyans, says HSC Member
Next Article Gulf Cooperation Council invites Libyan parties to dialogue

Keep Reading

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Special Forces and “Skydive Benghazi” Set World Record in Freefall Jump

General Command’s Women’s Office Mourns Major General Fawzi Al-Mansouri, Affirms Support for Investigation

Benghazi Municipality Discusses Boosting Local Revenues

Al-Hasadi Calls for Accountability of Dbeibeh Government over Failure to Counter Drone Attacks in Al-Zawiya

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
9h

Al-Abani: Closer Turkish and Egyptian Positions Aligning with the US Path Boost Chances for a Real Settlement in Libya

Reply on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Retweet on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Like on Twitter 2089034622898221246 Twitter 2089034622898221246
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
14h

National Center for Animal Health Investigates Sheep Deaths in Southern Tunisia

Reply on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Retweet on Twitter 2088958755375337794 1 Like on Twitter 2088958755375337794 Twitter 2088958755375337794
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
15 Aug

Al-Naam: Construction, Renovation, and Changing Property Status Without Permits Are Considered Municipal Guard Violations

Reply on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Retweet on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Like on Twitter 2088720729760018505 Twitter 2088720729760018505
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.