Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan
  • Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of Steadfastness 2
  • Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices
  • Libyan, Chadian Governments Explore Stronger Ties, Implementing Joint Pacts
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Two dead, five missing after migrants boat sinks off Tunisia

Two dead, five missing after migrants boat sinks off Tunisia

Sunday, August 13, 2023 Region & World 1 Min Read
34 migrants in ‘distress’ between Libya and Malta, says NGO
Migrants from Eritrea, Egypt, Syria and Sudan, wait to be assisted by aid workers of the Spanish NGO Open Arms, after fleeing Libya on board a precarious wooden boat in the Mediterranean sea, about 110 miles north of Libya, on Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021. (AP Photo/Joan Mateu)

At least two migrants including a baby died when their bank sank Saturday soon after leaving the coast of Tunisia, the coastguard said.

The vessel, carrying 20 Tunisians, went down at 2:00 a.m. local time (0100 GMT) when it was just 120 meters (395 feet) from the shoreline in the southeastern province of Gabes.

“Two bodies have been recovered, one of a 20-year-old man and the other of an infant,” the coast guard said in a statement.

Thirteen others were rescued, including the baby’s parents. Five passengers were missing and search operations were ongoing, the statement added.

A similar tragedy occurred off the Tunisian coast on Monday, when a boat carrying migrants sank near the eastern city of Sfax, leaving 11 people dead.

Sfax serves as a launching port for migrants from African countries to begin their risky sea journeys to Europe, via the Italian island of Lampedusa.

More than 1,800 people have died this year in shipwrecks on the central Mediterranean migration route, the world’s deadliest — more than twice as many as last year, according to the International Organization for Migration.

IOM Migrants Tunisia
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleLibyan Public Prosecutor orders detention of militia commander for fuel smuggling
Next Article 9 Bangladeshi migrants ‘missing’ in Mediterranean after leaving Libya to reach Italy

Keep Reading

Media Cooperation Between Islamic World and Russia at Kazan Forum 2026

Baio: Libya Wants Only Peace from Algeria… So What Does Algeria Want?

12 Police Officers Killed in Pakistan Checkpoint Bombing

Dozens of Thalassemia Patients Die in Gaza as Health Situation Worsens

US Defense Department declassifies UFO files

US Treasury Imposes Sanctions on 10 Individuals and Companies for Supporting Iran’s Military

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
15h

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External ...Inspection of Drug Shipments
https://libyaupdate.com/ministry-of-health-authorized-to-designate-international-companies-for-external-inspection-of-drug-shipments/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Retweet on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Like on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Twitter 2056274543212167375
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
17h

Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of ...Steadfastness 2

Reply on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Retweet on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Like on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Twitter 2056240380404752576
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
17 May

Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices

Reply on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Retweet on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Like on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Twitter 2056074412172939743
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.