Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Sebha Mayor discusses with UN Humanitarian Coordinator cooperation on several development files in the city
  • Libya and Azerbaijan Discuss Enhancing Cooperation in Housing and Urban Governance
  • Al-Terhouni: Libya has Opportunity to Become Regional Solar and Green Hydrogen Hub
  • National Center for Disease Control: No Confirmed or Suspected Ebola Cases in Libya
  • Suluq Subsidized Sacrificial Animals Sales Committee Demands Increase in Quantities Allocated to Municipality
  • Supreme Judicial Council Meets in Benghazi to Review Key Agenda and Approve Annual Training Plan
  • Libya, Turkey Explore Expanding Oil, Gas Partnership and Investment
  • 52 Migrants Apprehended Deep in Southern Desert Regions
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Sunday, 24 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » UN weather agency: Casualties in Libya floods could have been avoided

UN weather agency: Casualties in Libya floods could have been avoided

Thursday, September 14, 2023 National 1 Min Read
UN weather agency: Casualties in Libya floods could have been avoided

The use of advance warning systems would have lessened the casualties and damage caused by the recent devastating floods in Libya, the UN’s World Meteorological Organization (WMO) said on Thursday.

“If there had been advance warning we could have avoided most of the human casualties in Libya,” Petteri Taalas, the WMO’s secretary-general, told reporters in Geneva where he presented the United in Science 2023 report.

With properly functioning systems, “they could have issued the warnings and the emergency management forces would have been able to carry out the evacuation of the people,” he added.

On economic losses from the floods, he said: “Of course, we cannot fully avoid economic losses, but we could have also minimized those losses, having proper services in place.”

At least 6,000 people have been killed and thousands of others remain missing due to the weekend floods in eastern Libya, according to officials.

Torrential rains swept several regions, most notably the cities of Derna, Benghazi, Al-Bayda, Al-Marj, and Soussa.

Derna Flood Libya United Nations
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleGerman Air Force Delivers Relief Supplies to Libya
Next Article Romania Sends Emergency Aid to Flood-Ravaged Derna in Libya

Keep Reading

Sebha Mayor discusses with UN Humanitarian Coordinator cooperation on several development files in the city

Libya and Azerbaijan Discuss Enhancing Cooperation in Housing and Urban Governance

Suluq Subsidized Sacrificial Animals Sales Committee Demands Increase in Quantities Allocated to Municipality

Supreme Judicial Council Meets in Benghazi to Review Key Agenda and Approve Annual Training Plan

52 Migrants Apprehended Deep in Southern Desert Regions

Ahmouma: Executive division makes holding genuine elections difficult

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
12h

Leaders from Amazigh Regions Meet in Kabaw
...https://libyaupdate.com/leaders-from-amazigh-regions-meet-in-kabaw/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2058479250815041685 Retweet on Twitter 2058479250815041685 Like on Twitter 2058479250815041685 Twitter 2058479250815041685
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
23 May

Yassin: International Momentum a Rare Opportunity to Save Libya from Institutional ...Collapse

Reply on Twitter 2058283696751362121 Retweet on Twitter 2058283696751362121 Like on Twitter 2058283696751362121 Twitter 2058283696751362121
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
23 May

Nashad: Acquittal Affirms Al-Senussi Not Responsible for February Events

Reply on Twitter 2058279670982873571 Retweet on Twitter 2058279670982873571 Like on Twitter 2058279670982873571 Twitter 2058279670982873571
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.