Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Nursing Training in Tripoli on Managing Cardiac Arrest Cases
  • ‘Kafa’ Moves from Darkness to the Streets as Dbeibah’s Government Faces Years of Anger
  • Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council
  • Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections
  • Libyan Center for Research and Rural Development Discusses Supporting Development in Al-Qubah
  • Detention of 9 People in Al-Khums over Forging Civil Status Data and Granting Foreigners Citizenship Rights
  • National Safety Authority Extinguishes Fire in Dabusiya Area of Green Mountain
  • Libya Reconstruction and Development Fund Delivers 150 Vehicles to Support Safety and Sanitation in Benghazi
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Friday, 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Central Mediterranean: 8 migrants dying every day, says MSF

Central Mediterranean: 8 migrants dying every day, says MSF

Sunday, November 26, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
IOM: Over 75 migrants drown off Libya coast
LAMPEDUSA, ITALY - MAY 24: Refugees and migrants are seen swimming and yelling for assitance from crewmembers from the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) 'Phoenix' vessel after a wooden boat bound for Italy carrying more than 500 people capsized on May 24, 2017 off Lampedusa, Italy. Numbers of refugees and migrants attempting the dangerous central Mediterranean crossing from Libya to Italy has risen since the same time last year with more than 43,000 people recorded so far in 2017. In an attempt to slow the flow of migrants Italy recently signed a deal with Libya, Chad and Niger outlining a plan to increase border controls and add new reception centers in the African nations, which are key transit points for migrants heading to Italy. MOAS is a Malta based NGO dedicated to providing professional search-and-rescue assistance to refugees and migrants in distress at sea. Since the start of the year MOAS have rescued and assisted 3572 people and are currently patrolling and running rescue operations in international waters off the coast of Libya. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Since the beginning of the year, an average of eight people lost their lives or went missing each day while trying to cross the central Mediterranean towards Italy, according to Doctors Without Borders (MSF).

With about 2,200 children, women, and men either missing or confirmed dead in the Central Mediterranean so far, the year 2023 has been the deadliest since 2017 on this migration route, witnessing an average of eight victims per day.

In its latest report titled “No one came to our rescue,” Doctors Without Borders (MSF) denounces “the violent border practices and deliberate inaction of European states”, attributing these factors to the escalating deaths at sea.

The report, based on data collected onboard the MSF-operated rescue vessel Geo Barents, outlines various instances where “European coastal states knowingly endangered lives by delaying or inadequately coordinating rescues, and by facilitating refoulements to unsafe locations.” Furthermore, the report examines the “alarming levels of violence” reported by rescued migrants to MSF teams aboard the Geo Barents.

In 2023, “the number of people arriving at Italy’s shores via the Central Mediterranean route has more than doubled compared to the same period last year. Tunisia has now overtaken Libya as the main departure point.” This substantial increase in departures, coupled with the absence of state-led rescue capabilities, has resulted in more boats in distress and shipwrecks, as highlighted in a press release dated November 22.

Source: ANSA

Italy Libya Migrants MSF
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleSTATEMENT | 56 municipalities say UN envoy working on continuing chaos and divide in Libya
Next Article Italy donates agricultural machinery for the municipality of Sabha

Keep Reading

‘Kafa’ Moves from Darkness to the Streets as Dbeibah’s Government Faces Years of Anger

Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council

Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections

Libyan Center for Research and Rural Development Discusses Supporting Development in Al-Qubah

Detention of 9 People in Al-Khums over Forging Civil Status Data and Granting Foreigners Citizenship Rights

National Safety Authority Extinguishes Fire in Dabusiya Area of Green Mountain

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
12h

Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council

Reply on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Retweet on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Like on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Twitter 2090516077394506080
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
24h

Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections

Reply on Twitter 2090337615702610354 Retweet on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Like on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Twitter 2090337615702610354
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
19 Aug

Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar, meets His Excellency Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Kremlin in the capital, #Moscow, during his official visit to the Russian Federation.

Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar conveyed the

Reply on Twitter 2090158157913846176 Retweet on Twitter 2090158157913846176 1 Like on Twitter 2090158157913846176 9 Twitter 2090158157913846176
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.