Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Green Mountain Youth Organization Issues Environmental Guidelines Coinciding with Eid
  • Fourth Session of National Reconciliation and Human Rights Process Begins in Tripoli
  • Wadi Al-Bawanees Discusses Support for Local Economy and Job Opportunities
  • Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » US sets date for trial against Libyan suspect in Lockerbie bombing

US sets date for trial against Libyan suspect in Lockerbie bombing

Monday, December 25, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
US sets date for trial against Libyan suspect in Lockerbie bombing

US authorities have set a date for the trial against the man suspected of building the bomb that downed Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988.

The court in Washington DC fixed a date of May 12, 2025, for the prosecution of Abu Agila Masud.

He is alleged to have helped make the bomb which killed 259 passengers and crew on board the jumbo jet bound for New York from London on December 21, 1988.

Another 11 people were killed in Lockerbie when wreckage destroyed their homes, in what remains Britain’s deadliest terrorist attack.

Back in February, Libyan-born Masud pleaded not guilty to three charges including two counts of destruction of an aircraft resulting in death, and a further count of destruction of a vehicle resulting in death.

He faces life in prison, if found guilty.

Scotland’s lord advocate has welcomed the progress from American authorities.

Dorothy Bain spoke ahead of a memorial ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery in the US.

“I welcome this development and am encouraged with the progress in the court process,” she said.

“Scottish and US authorities have worked together since 1988 to bring those responsible for this atrocity to justice.

“That work continues as a dedicated team of Scottish prosecutors and officers from Police Scotland support the US Department of Justice and the FBI in this prosecution.”

In December last year, US officials announced that Masud, who allegedly worked as an intelligence agent for the country’s former dictator Muammar Gaddafi, had been taken into custody, two years after it was revealed he had been charged in connection with the explosion.

In 2020, he was charged by US Attorney General William Barr with being the third person involved in the terrorist attack.

Abu Agila Masud Libya Lockerbie
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleLibya’s natural gas production decreased by 8%, says Audit Bureau
Next Article Libyan Islamic Bank sign deal with Backbase to enhance digital customer experience

Keep Reading

Green Mountain Youth Organization Issues Environmental Guidelines Coinciding with Eid

Fourth Session of National Reconciliation and Human Rights Process Begins in Tripoli

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity

Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
14h

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
...https://libyaupdate.com/benghazi-celebrates-young-artist-ziad-al-sahati-in-cultural-event/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Retweet on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Like on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Twitter 2056595218288296012
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
24h

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

Reply on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Retweet on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Like on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Twitter 2056449070152007865
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18 May

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting ...Libya’s Stability and Unity
https://libyaupdate.com/from-the-egyptian-parliament-counselor-saleh-praises-egypts-role-in-supporting-libyas-stability-and-unity/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Retweet on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Like on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Twitter 2056414485288476794
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.