Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • Sirte Urban Planning Authority Approves New Residential Plan
  • Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of Steadfastness 2
  • Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices
  • Libyan, Chadian Governments Explore Stronger Ties, Implementing Joint Pacts
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Tuesday, 19 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Italy detains Ocean Viking migrant rescue ship for 20 days

Italy detains Ocean Viking migrant rescue ship for 20 days

Monday, January 1, 2024 Region & World 2 Mins Read
Italy detains Ocean Viking migrant rescue ship for 20 days

Italian authorities have detained the Ocean Viking migrant rescue vessel for 20 days over its alleged failure to follow a prescribed route after rescuing dozens of people off the Libyan coast, the ship’s operator said Sunday.

“Ocean Viking is detained under the ‘Piantedosi Decree-Law’ for the second time in two months, punishing humanitarian rescuers for carrying out the lifesaving work that European States fail to do in the central Mediterranean,” SOS Mediterranee, based in the French city of Marseille, said on X.

It said the ship had been ordered to return directly to the Italian port of Bari after picking up 244 people in three rescue operations, including 18 unaccompanied minors and four children under the age of four.

But as it was heading for Bari the Ocean Viking received an alert of at least 70 migrants needing help around 15 nautical miles (28 kilometres) from its position, though in fact the skiff was around 60 nautical miles away.

“Without any indication that another ship was en route to help these people in distress, we simply had no other choice, legal or moral, to respond to this alert — any other choice would have been a violation of international law,” SOS Mediterranee told AFP.

On November 15, Italian authorities had already ordered the ship detained for 20 days and issued a fine of €3,300, saying it had failed to coordinate its actions with the authorities.

Since January 2023, 2,678 migrants have disappeared while trying to cross the Mediterranean for Europe, according to the UN’s International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Italy Ocean Viking
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleBodies of migrants recovered off Zuwara coast
Next Article High Council of State’s members boycott session over alleged violations by chairman Takala

Keep Reading

Media Cooperation Between Islamic World and Russia at Kazan Forum 2026

Baio: Libya Wants Only Peace from Algeria… So What Does Algeria Want?

12 Police Officers Killed in Pakistan Checkpoint Bombing

Dozens of Thalassemia Patients Die in Gaza as Health Situation Worsens

US Defense Department declassifies UFO files

US Treasury Imposes Sanctions on 10 Individuals and Companies for Supporting Iran’s Military

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18h

Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External ...Inspection of Drug Shipments
https://libyaupdate.com/ministry-of-health-authorized-to-designate-international-companies-for-external-inspection-of-drug-shipments/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Retweet on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Like on Twitter 2056274543212167375 Twitter 2056274543212167375
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
21h

Former Egyptian intelligence undersecretary: Security concerns surround Convoy of ...Steadfastness 2

Reply on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Retweet on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Like on Twitter 2056240380404752576 Twitter 2056240380404752576
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
17 May

Seminar in Benghazi Discusses Legal Protection for Medical Practices

Reply on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Retweet on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Like on Twitter 2056074412172939743 Twitter 2056074412172939743
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.