Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Nursing Training in Tripoli on Managing Cardiac Arrest Cases
  • ‘Kafa’ Moves from Darkness to the Streets as Dbeibah’s Government Faces Years of Anger
  • Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council
  • Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections
  • Libyan Center for Research and Rural Development Discusses Supporting Development in Al-Qubah
  • Detention of 9 People in Al-Khums over Forging Civil Status Data and Granting Foreigners Citizenship Rights
  • National Safety Authority Extinguishes Fire in Dabusiya Area of Green Mountain
  • Libya Reconstruction and Development Fund Delivers 150 Vehicles to Support Safety and Sanitation in Benghazi
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Friday, 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Libya Crimes Watch holds Dbeibeh’s government responsible over Zawiya clashes

Libya Crimes Watch holds Dbeibeh’s government responsible over Zawiya clashes

Tuesday, April 25, 2023 National 2 Mins Read
Libya Crimes Watch holds Dbeibeh’s government responsible over Zawiya clashes

Libya Crimes Watch, a non-governmental organizations, said on Tuesday that it holds the Government of National Unity, led by Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh, responsible for the violent clashes that took place Sunday night and continued until Monday morning in the Libyan city of Zawiya.

At least four people were killed after violence erupted between armed groups, according to Libya’s Ambulance and Emergency Service. The fighting stopped after health services pleaded for truce to help evacuate civilians stuck in areas of clashes.

Thirty families were evacuated from their homes through a safe passage established by rescue teams of the Ambulance and Emergency Service.

According to press reports, the warring parties were an armed group known as First Support Battalion, which is affiliated with the city’s Security Directorate, and a force of the Stabilization Support Apparatus, which is directly affiliated with the Government of National Unity.

A militant of the First Support Battalion was killed by another from the Stabilization Support Apparatus over a dispute whose causes remain unknown. The killing of the militant promoted the First Support Battalion to attack force of Stabilization Support Apparatus, thus igniting a night of clashes.

The Libya Crimes Watch called on “the judicial authorities in Libya to open an urgent and transparent investigation into these violations and hold those responsible accountable.”

“We hold the Government of National Unity responsible for the continued security chaos and organized crime in the city, and we demand that they take effective measures to protect the lives of civilians,” the NGO said.

Since Libya plunged into a security unrest in the aftermath of the 2011 civil war that toppled Muammar Gaddafi, Zawiya, much like other Libyan cities, regularly witnesses fighting between armed groups for power and influence, benefiting from the security crisis that gave rise to smuggling drugs, oil and human trafficking.

Earlier this month, armed groups clashed in the city with violence causing harm to civilians as three people were wounded. The violence also damaged the Zawiya refinery, Libya’s largest oil refinery with a capacity of up to 120,000 barrels per day.

رصدت المنظمة مقتل مدنيين اثنين جرّاء سقوط قذيفة على منزلهم في مدينة الزاوية مساء الاحد 23 أبريل، إثر اشتباكات بين عصابات مسلحة شرق المدينة.

نحمل حكومة الوحدة الوطنية مسؤولية استمرار الانفلات الأمني والجريمة المنظمة بالمدينة، ونطالبهم باتخاذ إجراءات فعّالة لحماية ارواح المدنيين،… pic.twitter.com/YHfjQOXeit

— رصد الجرائم في ليبيا – Libya Crimes Watch (@LCWNGO) April 25, 2023

Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh Libya Zawiya
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleFormer Tajoura Mayor Ben Atia: Ongoing events in Sudan follow the same path as Libya
Next Article “We didn’t do it in Libya”: US will not send military to evacuate nationals from Sudan

Keep Reading

‘Kafa’ Moves from Darkness to the Streets as Dbeibah’s Government Faces Years of Anger

Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council

Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections

Libyan Center for Research and Rural Development Discusses Supporting Development in Al-Qubah

Detention of 9 People in Al-Khums over Forging Civil Status Data and Granting Foreigners Citizenship Rights

National Safety Authority Extinguishes Fire in Dabusiya Area of Green Mountain

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
16h

Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council

Reply on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Retweet on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Like on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Twitter 2090516077394506080
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
20 Aug

Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections

Reply on Twitter 2090337615702610354 Retweet on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Like on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Twitter 2090337615702610354
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
19 Aug

Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar, meets His Excellency Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Kremlin in the capital, #Moscow, during his official visit to the Russian Federation.

Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar conveyed the

Reply on Twitter 2090158157913846176 Retweet on Twitter 2090158157913846176 1 Like on Twitter 2090158157913846176 9 Twitter 2090158157913846176
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.