Libya’s outgoing prime minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibeh announced on Friday several initiatives in support of the country’s youth including real-estate grants and disbursement of one billion dinars for marriage fund.
The announcement came during a government-organized rally in the city of Khoms to commemorate International Youth Day.
Dbeibeh said his government will give away real-estate to Libyan youth for private ownership and with zero interests. He also stated that the government will disburse a billion Libyan dinars to youth across the country who are planning on getting married. This comes as part of the marriage fund created by his government last year, which already worth two billion dinars.
The 63-year-old’s new plans sparked controversy in Libya with many criticizing his government’s spending as inflation rate in the country hit 5.70 and prices soar.
In response to Dbeibeh initiatives, journalist Khalil Elhassi, a former anchor at 218 Libyan TV Channel, said last night the the outgoing premier “has caused severe damage to the country’s economy that could not be repaired for decades”.
بقاء مقاول القذافي السابق عبدالحميد الدبيبة في السلطة أخطر من بقاء داعش في سرت ولكن أكثر الناس لا يعلمون. حميد أحدث ضررا بالغا في اقتصاد البلاد لا يمكن إصلاحه لعقود طويلة حتى لو جاءت حكومة رشيدة. وهو احتمال مستبعد طبعا.
ملاحظة "قروض خالية من فوائد لآلاف الناس"= ليبيا على بلوكات. pic.twitter.com/fo9bKUUL6s
— Khalil Elhassi (@KElhasse) August 12, 2022