Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Al-Ghuwail: The Bread Crisis Is Not Just About the Loaf but Also Exchange Rates, Flour, Fuel, and Electricity
  • Nursing Training in Tripoli on Managing Cardiac Arrest Cases
  • ‘Kafa’ Moves from Darkness to the Streets as Dbeibah’s Government Faces Years of Anger
  • Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council
  • Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections
  • Libyan Center for Research and Rural Development Discusses Supporting Development in Al-Qubah
  • Detention of 9 People in Al-Khums over Forging Civil Status Data and Granting Foreigners Citizenship Rights
  • National Safety Authority Extinguishes Fire in Dabusiya Area of Green Mountain
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Friday, 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Libya still cut off from foreign banks, ousted central banker says

Libya still cut off from foreign banks, ousted central banker says

Saturday, September 14, 2024 Economy 2 Mins Read
Libya still cut off from foreign banks, ousted central banker says
Libya’s central bank, at the centre of a weeks-long crisis that has slashed oil output, remains cut off from the international financial system, its veteran governor who was removed by political factions in a contested move told Reuters on Thursday.
Sadiq al-Kabir, speaking from self-imposed exile in Istanbul, said the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) board appointed by western Libyan factions to replace him controls the country’s internal payments system but foreign banks are not dealing with it.
“All international banks that we deal with, more than 30 major international institutions, have suspended all transactions,” he said, adding that he also remained in contact with other institutions including the International Monetary Fund, the U.S. Treasury and JPMorgan.
“All work has been suspended at the international level. Therefore, there is no access to balances or deposits outside Libya,” he said.

The U.S. Treasury did not immediately respond to requests for comment. JPMorgan declined to comment, saying it could not discuss client relationships.
An IMF spokesperson said the fund was closely following developments on the Central Bank of Libya’s management and that it supports the United Nations Support Mission in Libya’s efforts to reach an agreement to end the standoff.
Kabir said the board appointed by the western factions had, however, gained control over Libya’s internal transactions systems, including salary payments.
“The internal part, the employees have returned and the systems are working,” he said.
The disputed board appointed by Presidency Council head Mohammed al-Menfi last month has said it has granted letters of credit in dollars and euros to several companies and has previously denied that foreign banks are not dealing with it.
Kabir hopes to be reinstated as governor through U.N.-backed negotiations between the House of Representatives parliament in eastern Libya and the High State Council (HSC) based in Tripoli in the west, to resolve the crisis.
He said he is in touch with both the parliament and the HSC, but not with Menfi or Prime Minister Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah.
Both the parliament and HSC have opposed Menfi’s sacking of Kabir, saying it breached a 2015 agreement endorsed by the international community that forms the legal basis for Libyan politics.
The U.N.-backed talks are aimed at establishing a mechanism for appointing the central bank governor and for managing a short interim period.
CBL Libya Saddiq Kabir
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleTripoli: UN to resume facilitating talks on CBL crisis today
Next Article Two dead, 33 injured due to heavy rains in Sebha

Keep Reading

Experts: Money laundering is a form of quick wealth in Libya as chaos has created a favorable environment for it

First Investment Sukuk Package Launched With Value Exceeding One Billion Dinars

Dollar Nears Highest Level in a Week

Development of ASYCUDA System and Customs Capabilities in Libya Focus of Customs Authority Meeting with EU EUBAM Delegation

Progress of Construction on the Eastern Wharf at the Sirte Free Zone

Musaad Boulus Stresses Importance of Implementing Unified Budget and Safeguarding Independence of Sovereign Economic Institutions in Libya

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Verified account Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
20h

Speaker of the House of Representatives Discusses Arrangements for the Asian-African Parliamentary Council

Reply on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Retweet on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Like on Twitter 2090516077394506080 Twitter 2090516077394506080
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
20 Aug

Tittieh: 4+4 Committee Meeting Makes Progress on Legal and Constitutional Path for Elections

Reply on Twitter 2090337615702610354 Retweet on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Like on Twitter 2090337615702610354 1 Twitter 2090337615702610354
thelibyaupdate

The Libya Update

Verified account @thelibyaupdate ·
19 Aug

Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar, meets His Excellency Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Kremlin in the capital, #Moscow, during his official visit to the Russian Federation.

Lieutenant General Saddam Haftar conveyed the

Reply on Twitter 2090158157913846176 Retweet on Twitter 2090158157913846176 1 Like on Twitter 2090158157913846176 9 Twitter 2090158157913846176
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.