Close Menu
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Trending
  • Green Mountain Youth Organization Issues Environmental Guidelines Coinciding with Eid
  • Fourth Session of National Reconciliation and Human Rights Process Begins in Tripoli
  • Wadi Al-Bawanees Discusses Support for Local Economy and Job Opportunities
  • Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
  • Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha
  • From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting Libya’s Stability and Unity
  • Chadian Delegation Visits Benghazi Peace Center
  • Ministry of Health Authorized to Designate International Companies for External Inspection of Drug Shipments
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Subscribe
Wednesday, 20 May 2026
  • Home
  • National
  • Region & World
    • The Maghreb
    • Middle East
  • Business
    • Oil & Gas
    • Economy
    • Analysis
  • Opinion
  • Editors’ Picks
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Sports
Libya Update NewsLibya Update News
Home » Violence towards refugees at Libyan detention centres forces MSF to pull out

Violence towards refugees at Libyan detention centres forces MSF to pull out

Thursday, June 24, 2021 Uncategorized 1 Min Read
Violence towards refugees at Libyan detention centres forces MSF to pull out
Migrants at a detention center in Zawiyah, west of Tripoli, on June 17, 2017. TAHA JAWASHI/AFP/Getty Images

TRIPOLI – Increasing violence towards refugees and migrants held in Libyan detention centers has forced Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) to suspend its operations at two facilities, the medical charity said.

MSF said its teams witnessed guards beating detainees, including those seeking treatment from MSF doctors, during a visit to the Mabani detention centre in Tripoli last week.

It also said its doctors treated 19 patients suffering from fractures, bruises, cuts and blunt trauma from beatings reported to the organisation, which has also suspended operations at Abu Salim detention centre.

“This is not an easy decision to make, as it means we won’t be present in detention centres where we know people are suffering on a daily basis,” said MSF head of mission in Libya, Beatrice Lau.

“However, the persistent pattern of violent incidents and serious harm to refugees and migrants, as well as the risk to the safety of our staff, has reached a level that we are no longer able to accept. Until the violence stops, and conditions improve, MSF can no longer provide humanitarian and medical care in these facilities,” she said.

Beatrice Lau Doctors Without Borders Immigration Libya Libya News Libya Update Médecins Sans Frontières Migrants Migration MSF Tripoli
Follow on Google News Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Email Reddit Telegram WhatsApp Copy Link
Previous ArticleLibya’s PM meets British counterpart in London
Next Article Turkey displays its soldiers presence in Libya as Berlin Conference demand their withdrawal

Keep Reading

The Rise of the Young General and Geopolitical Shifts: New Milestones in Migration and Libyan Border Security

Doctors Without Borders: Our license is valid in Libya and there is no justification for our expulsion from the country

Electricity continues maintenance and network expansion works in a number of areas

Over 800 Migrants Intercepted and Returned to Libya in One Week

UN Mission welcomes the progress of the House of Representatives and the High Council of State in reconstituting the Elections Commission

IOM Facilitates Voluntary Return of 165 Migrants from Libya to Burkina Faso

Follow us on Twitter

The Libya Update Follow

Stay ahead of the curve with The #Libya Update - your go-to source for news and insights on Libyan politics, business, culture, and more. #LibyaNews

TheLibyaUpdate
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18h

Benghazi Celebrates Young Artist Ziad Al-Sahati in Cultural Event
...https://libyaupdate.com/benghazi-celebrates-young-artist-ziad-al-sahati-in-cultural-event/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Retweet on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Like on Twitter 2056595218288296012 Twitter 2056595218288296012
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18 May

Fuel Station Removed, 22,000 Liters of Diesel Seized in Sebha

Reply on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Retweet on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Like on Twitter 2056449070152007865 Twitter 2056449070152007865
thelibyaupdate The Libya Update @thelibyaupdate ·
18 May

From the Egyptian Parliament: Counselor Saleh Praises Egypt’s Role in Supporting ...Libya’s Stability and Unity
https://libyaupdate.com/from-the-egyptian-parliament-counselor-saleh-praises-egypts-role-in-supporting-libyas-stability-and-unity/
The #Libya Update

Reply on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Retweet on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Like on Twitter 2056414485288476794 Twitter 2056414485288476794
libya update
Facebook X (Twitter) RSS

News

  • National News
  • The Maghreb News
  • Middle East News
  • Business News
  • Sports News

Company

  • Information
  • Ethics Policy
  • Corrections Policy
  • Fact-Checking Policy
  • GDPR Policy

Categories

  • Editors’ Picks
  • Opinion
  • Health & Lifestyle
  • Videos
  • Infographics

Subscribe to Updates

    © 2026 All copyrights reserved. The Libya Update.
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertising

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.